Wednesday 10 October 2012

Theoretical Studies Into Audiences

1. USES AND GRATIFICATION:
Blumler and Katz argued that audiences are ACTIVE and not PASSIVE and approach and use media products for the following reasons:
-DIVERSION: a form of escaping from the pressures of everyday
-PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS: where the viewer gains companionship, either with the television character or through conversations with others about television.
-PERSONAL IDENTITY: where the viewer is able to compare their life with the lives of the character and situations on television, to explore or question their personal identity.
-SURVEILLANCE: where the media are looked upon for a supply of information about what is happening in the world

2. FOCUSED AND AMBIENT AUDIENCES:
David buckingham explains that some audiences are not as deliberate or active in their consumption. He believes that it is essential to situate young people's media use within the context of their social activities and experiences due to the face that many young people are using media as a wallpaper; a wall of noise to fill up 'down time' or just to pass the time due to boredom/ That many of their interactions with the media are not committed or concentrated but they are meaningless. 

Why would an audience approach/use my media product?
I believe that an audience would approach my media product because they have an interest in the genre of music (indiepop). Alot of indie music is promoting through the use of social networking and YouTube so the audience that would ideally watch my video might be likely to approach my product. I am planning on having my music video uploaded to YouTube but then I am going to make people aware of my product using social networking sites (mainly facebook). They might also approach my product because they already know the song and the band and are intrigued to watch it. Lastly, I think that audiences from my college will approach my media product because they are interested to see what other students from their school have done in their lessons.

Music videos are made for PROMOTION of bands and they are made to create a representation of the artist/band so the video should to catered to their type of music that would be suitable for their audiences.

Focused audiences would take interest in music videos that include: detail, meaning, strong narratives, good effect use, innovation etc.
Ambient audiences would take interest in music videos that include: simple narratives, strong performance, lots of costumes, quick location changes, non-linear editing, quick editing etc.


How will I be accommodating for these two types of audiences? 
I am aiming to accomadate for these two types of audiences by using detailed and meaningful footage but by using quick editing and strong performance aswell. Hopefully, this will then enable me to create a music video that will be enjoyed by both types of audiences. Overall, I think that my music video would appeal to both these types of audiences because I am planning to involve a mixture of their interests such as good effect use etc. However, I am hoping that the majority of my audience is ambient audience because I think that my music video is going to accomodate their interests more than focused audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment