Monday 15 October 2012

Changes in Production (2)

The band The White Stripes, an example
of a band that include a girl drummer.
After the first day of recording I decided to change a few things. Firstly, because I had to record for a second day one of the actors could not make it. Therefore I decided to ask a girl to step in as the drummer. I done this because there was no other available drum players in the area that were willing to take part. However, although at first I didn't think that using a female drummer would look right I realised that there are alot of bands that include females. One of the most well known is the white stripes but I have focused on the band San Cisco who has a young looking female drummer. This may also be a good thing because it adds variety and individuality to my music video and could make it more interesting. I also decided to change the location of my music video. This is because on the first day of production I found that the lighting in the first location was not what I wanted. Another resaon why I changed location was because if I changed then I would be able to hire proffesional lighting for quite cheap because the person who owns them is related to one of the actors. However, the lighting couldn't be moved to a different location because the second location was used for actual photography. Another good thing about the second location is that it was a plain white space which had alot of room which allowed us to have a spacious set up. The lighting that I used was a proffesional lighting with barn doors and umbrellas. This lighting is specifically used for outputing alot of light into wide spaces making even lighting throughout the space, causing little shadowing. But before using the lighting I thought it would be beneficial to watch some videos on how to use umbrellas in the right way. I found this video the most useful to me:
This video was specifically useful to me because I've decided to add a different shot type into my music video. This shot will consist of each member of the band standing up against a plain background with the lights on them singing through the whole song. By doing this I will hopefully be able to edit it in a way that on the chorus for each word it's a different person singing it. The best example of this would be 'nothing on you' by b.o.b when it changes from different pictures of girls on the chorus. There were also a few costumes changes due to me not being able to get hold of certain things such as the hats because one person was not available. However, this doesn't seem to be that much of an issue because I am still able to get hold of the obvious clothing tshirt. The last change in my production was that I finally decided not to include a storyline but I want to record the band setting up the equipment and just acting naturally around the location so I could maybe add this into some parts of the editing. This has been done before by many different genred artist but I got this idea from the music video 'Give it to me' performed by Timbaland, Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake (specifically towards the end of the video).
Another example of this type of music video is 'Cheers' performed by Rihanna:

Even though it is not in the genre of music I am doing, I think this is a good example because it shows that you can show natural behaviours such as talking to one another and it would still go well with the music as long as its relevant. By doing this its makes a music video look more 'home made' which is popular throughout the indie genre.Overall, I believe that these changes in my production will be alot more benficial when it comes to the editing process and the end result as a music video product.

No comments:

Post a Comment