Saturday 27 October 2012

Rough Cut Appraisal

There are many things that I believe went well with my roughcut but I have also personally noticed alot of issues as well. I have wrote this rough cut appraisal to show all of the positives and negatives about my rough cut video and all of my opinions on how it went. I have done this so I can compare it to my audience feedback which will then hopefully help me create a succesful product in the end.

Positives:
- I believe that the clips which I have in my rough cut so far flow well together and create a good representation of what the band is like and how they act naturally.
- The colouring of the footage works well with the song. I dont this by using colour corrector and brightness and I think that it creates a much more 'indie' looking video.
- Some of the lipsynching has work very well and is in good time with the lyrics in the song.
- The lighting in the actual footage works well and gives the overall video a nice effect.
- The long shot performance footage looks good and is a good contrast to the close ups and natural acting shots.
- I think that the beginning bit work wells (when each character is introduced one at a time)
- I believe that the overall idea of the video is beginning to work well.
- The footage that I have got it a good repesentation of the influences that I have been using in the process of recording. e.g: Some of the shots that I have included in my video are similar to others shown in other indie music videos, specifically San Cisco's 'Awkward'.

Negatives:
- I think that so far, the music video does get a bit boring at some parts. To improve this I will need to add alot more performance and natural clips which will involve me doing another shoot.
-Although the clips flow well together, I do think that it is a bit boring having the whole video in the same location and it does get a but tedious. (there is only so much you can do in one location)
-The lipsynching at the beginning needs to be improved (it could be alot more in time).
-The beginning can be improved alot so it's not just focused on a room for 15ish seconds. Even though there is effects added in, it could still be more interesting. The start of the video has to be the part to grab the audiences attention and I want it to be as good as possible.
- Some of the clips in the video seem to be abit 'random' and I would like to change this by having clips from different locations.
- I think that the video would overall be alot more powerful if I had transitions and different effects. At the moment there isn't any really interesting noticable effects added.
- When each character is introduced at the beginning the timing could be more on point.
- The close up of the instruments could be done again but this time it could be made to look alot more natural (like it is shown in the performance shots).
- Some of the clips could be made brighter then the others so they stand out more instead of the whole video because the same brightness.
- Things could be made so they run alot more smoothly (not too much because this would be complimenting the genre of the song).
-More camera angles could be added aswell (of the performance etc.).

Overall, I think that for a roughcut it did go well but there are many things that I need to do to improve my video and make it an interesting 'indie' music video. There are many ways I could do this but I think the main focus needs to be getting more footage for the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment