Tuesday 9 October 2012

Changes in Production (1)

Today I have decided to make some changes in my music video. After planning my production time, it has come to my attention that I have a very small amount of time to record my video. Therefore, I think that it would be a good idea to mainly focus on getting the performance footage shot before thinking about the storyline. This way, if I run out of time during production I will have alot of decent footage rather than rushing through every section of recording. After looking at other music videos in depth I have learnt that within the indie genre, there doesn't have to be a complex storyline to make the video interesting and rememerable. This is beneficial for me to know because I was planning to include a storyline but then found that with my schedule it might be difficult for me to fit in all of my filming. Because I am making these changes, I had to do some more research to find videos that are like this that I could use as an influence:
Esser (Headlock):
This music video was released in 2008 and is not a very well known song. Esser can be compared to artist such as Jamie T because he uses alot of simple techniques within his music videos which still reflect as being interesting. This specific video consists of alot of different camera angles and a small amount of performance by the artist. The location doesn't compliment to song and the lyrics but it still seems to work succesfully as a music video. This is a very good example of a homemade looking music video that is generally used alot throughout the indie genre. I think that much alike other indie videos, the editing is the main aspect which makes this video work so well. The clips are jumping to the beat of the song which makes it interesting to watch. The styling of this artist is quite different to other indie bands but still uses the same bases of a shirt rolled up trousers and a quiff styled hair cut. One thing that this video is good at which fit in with the codes and conventions of the indie genre is it create abit of an awkward feel because of the way that he is standing when he is performing. This suggests that he doesn't want to be the main focus of the music video.

San Cisco-Awkward:



Another music video I think it a good one to consider as an influence is San Cisco Awkward. This is because the music video is based at one very simple location but by the use of a good performance and sharp, interesting editing the video does not become boring at any point. It is also very obvious who there target audience is (teenagers) because they use the iPhone texting part to write out some of the lyrics which will relate to alot of teenagers because all teenagers do is text and iPhones happen to be the most popular type of phone to use. The style of the band is quite simple and you could find the type of things that they are wearing in high street fashions shops (e.g. Topman). This is a good thing because I will be able to make my band look like a realistic indie band because I am using young bands like this as my influences.


No comments:

Post a Comment