Monday 19 November 2012

Digipak Research (1)

digipak template
What is a digipak?
A digipak is the whole product which we would normally call a CD. it can either consist of 4 panels or 6 and it has all the elements to make a cd front cover and entire case. The style of digipaks range from genre to genre but they all normally have some form of advertisement to promote it. In most cases this is a magazine advert. Below I have analysed two digipaks in comparison to their magazine adverts to show the similarities and differences between them both:
EXAMPLE ONE:
Similarities:
-They consist of the same imagery
-They both have the same brightness/contrast/editing

Differences:
-The CD contains less information
-The magazine advert is larger in size
-The image on the m advert is small because of the information


EXAMPLE TWO:
 
Similarities:
-use the same image
-use the same fonts
- roughly the same size

Differences:
-magazine has lots of writing at the bottom and has the cord label and promotor logo at the bottom
-the tree is slightly smaller on the mag ad. 


It is clear that magazine adverts tend to be the same as the CD but just bigger and with a lot more information on it such as the release date of the album, where it will be sold and who the record company is. This seems to be a good technique to use because if someone sees the picture in a magazine they will immediately recognise it in a shop. 

MY DIGIPAK:

During production I took at few photographs for the digipak I will be making. Out of them all, I chose this one because I think it is a good shot of the band as a whole. However, to fit with the conventions on the indie genre, I will be creating a fine liner drawing of the outlines of this photgraphs and will be using it in photoshop to add in 'artwork' styled images. The main influence for my digipak is the album 'Antidotes' by the band English band Foals released on 24th March 2008. I decided to use this album cover for an influence because I like the simplicity of the images complimented by the small section of pattern. I think that this album cover represents the indie genre very well and it also a very well known album throughout indie music. I think that if I use this sort of technique it would be very beneficial because the audience I am aiming my products at will be able to recognise what genre it is. I also didn't want the digipak I was creating to be very complicated but at the same time I wanted it to be effective which would be a result of doing a digipak like this. Also, the program that I will be using to create my digipak will be photoshop which will enable me to be able to create a digpak like this well.


Even though I have completed a photoshop tutorial before, I wanted to be able to understand the program on a simpler level so when it comes to making my digipak image, I would be able to know what tools are where and which tools would be appropriate for me to use. Therefore, I watched a few photoshop tutorials on YouTube and I found that this one was the most educationally beneficial for me. The main things I learnt from this tutorial was how to create layers and build up an effective image. After watching this tutorial I then went on to explore videos that would show me how to create effects which would be used in the making of my digipak. I found this video the best:
From this video I learnt how to create an image which consists of artwork, images of people and text aswell. This is obviously beneficial because this is what a digipak consists of.

No comments:

Post a Comment