Wednesday 26 September 2012

Research and Planning INFLUENCES

Over the years, the indie genre expanded gaining many more fans and bands/artists within the genre. For my music video I have watched and analyzed many music video within this genre and I have narrowed it down to a few main influences. These have not only influenced the 'costumes' I am using but also the editing and style of the music video.
Music Video Influences: Florence and the Machine (Dog days are over):
I consider this music video to be an influence for my music video because it includes many of the same things I am hoping to put in my music video. The mise en scene in this video is one of the features of this video which I appreciate the most. I think thatthe home made look to this video is one of it's most positive aspects. It's quite a plain music video with a simple location but the costumes and props make it very eyecatching to watch. The editing in this video is also done very well. Alot of editing is used within video but the most noticable editing technique used in this video is the use of short clips jump from one to another. This is very effective for this video because it goes with the beat of the music. Overall, I believe that this video is an influence to me because I would like to use the style of editing used in this video in mine. I also like the filters used which makes the video look homemade.


Bombay Bicycle Club (Always Like This):
I mainly consider 'Always Like This' and influence because of the style and editing of the music video. The style of the band are wearing simple clothing which consists of T-shirts and jeans etc. I think this would be a good thing to do in my music video because even though the band is the 'star' of the video, they don't overdress the band in the video because that isn't the style of the genre of music. Another aspect of this music video which I appreciate and would consider to be an influence is the use of editing. The use alot of jump cuts to make the video appear to be skipping and also, the quality of the camera seems to be more of a home video camera. They also speed up alot of the clips they have so it appears that what is going on on the screen is going to the beat of the song. It seems that they would have had to get a lot of footage to make this video which I would like to do for mine as well so I have alot of footage to edit with to go from on cut to another to create a jumpy effect.



Style influences:
A promo shot of the Maccabees.

As well as the bands/artists above I have many others influences for the styling of my music video. One of the main bands that I consider to be an influence is The Maccabees. This is because they dress like a typical indie band but they also dress similar to one another so they look like a band. They mainly wear different types of shirts (denim, plain and checked) with skinny jeans and worn out vans/trainers. I appreaciate this look because they are not trying too hard to stand out because they like the focus to be on their music and not how they look. Another style influence for me is the band Two Door Cinema Club themselves. This is because alot like the Maccabees they have a very simple style but at the same time they always look well put together. Their style consist of T-shirts, shirts, blazers, jeans and trainers. Even though they are similar to the Maccabees in many ways, they go for a much smarter look. This may be because they are much more 'commercial' than them and even though they are in the same genre group, their music is alot more meaningful and 'happy'. For the female styles that I am wanting to use in my music video, I have used festival styles as my main influence. This is because the song that I am doing is quite a bright happy song which reminds me of a festival atmosphere and also TDCC perform at alot of festivals so this would be the actual style of girls that listen to the band. Some examples of this type of style:

No comments:

Post a Comment