Wednesday 26 September 2012

Planning and Research QUESTIONNAIRE

For part of my genre research, I decided to hand out a questionnaire to 10 students at Long Road. It only consisted of 5 questions which were just asking general questions about what people thought about the indie genre, what types of things they wear and what they thought would be in an indie music video. I didn't ask for long answers because I already had a rough idea about what peoples thoughts were just by talking to some of my friends but I thought it would be good to get opinions from a few people I did not know aswell. I think this was very beneficial for me because I was able to clarify that my interpetation of the indie genre was the same as other people the same ages as me. It was also good when deciding on what to have in my music video. (mise-en-scene etc.) Below is the typed up questionnaire which answers were collected from ten different people:

1. What is your favourite genre of music?
Amy: hip hop (kayne west) and dubstep
Yotam: indie/rock
Shaunagh: r and b
Ana: rock/heavy metal
Daniel: grime and hip hop
Sam: indie and pop
Adam: indie and old rock (the clash etc)
Alice: pop and dance
Natalie: mainly dance sometimes indie
Charlie: dubstep!!
 
2. What do you think 'indie' people dress like?
Amy: jeans and shirts
Yotam: skinny jeans, hoodies, caps, shirts and vans
Shaunagh: flat caps, jeans, dirty trainers and tshirts
Ana: jeans, vans and shirts
Daniel: skinny jeans, denim shirts and trainers
Sam: retro shoes, black jeans, jean jackets etc.
Adam: beanie hats, skinny jeans, shirts and dirty shoes
Alice: black jeans, checked shirts and vans
Natalie: Jackets, hats, jeans and scruffy vans :)
Charlie: like hipsters.
 
3. What would you expect to see in an 'indie' music video?
Amy: The band and instruments.
Yotam: Lots of musical instruments and young characters.
Shaunagh: Hipsters and guitars.
Ana: A cute storyline and the band performing.
Daniel: Quite plain surroundings and instruments.
Sam: Lots of instruments and light.  
Adam: Performances, instruments and flashbacks.
Alice: I'm not too sure :(
Natalie: Guitars, keyboards and lots of
performance footage (maybe from festivals). 
Charlie: I really do not know.
 
4. Would you watch a music video which was just a band playing the song?
Amy: Only if the band was good and had fit people in it.
Yotam: Maybe if it was good.
Shaunagh: I don't really like bands so probably not.
Ana: No, that sounds pretty boring.
Daniel: Yeah loads of bands have done it before but it would have to be different to the rest.
Sam: Yeah but it would need to be exciting as well.
Adam: No it's better when music videos have a story to them.
Alice: Yeah that would be good if it had some dance routines in it.
Natalie: Yes! Especially if it's Foals.
Charlie: No thank you.

From this questionnaire it is clear to me that most people have roughly the same idea. However, after collecting these result it came to my attention that they only answered about male indie characters. This must mean that people pressume indie band only consist of males. It is also clear that a solely performance based video may end up being abit boring for some viewers which is not what I want to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment