Wednesday 26 September 2012

Research and Planning FASHION

In order to find what is the best 'costumes' for my characters to wear in my music video, I have used primary and secondary research. Firstly, I took pictures of friends and other people around college to see how they dress. I also asked them what genres of music they listened to so that I was able to come up with rough ideas for my costumes:



grime, hip hop, garage, drum and bass
latino, alternative rock
indie pop, dance
american indie rock (you me at six)
electronic, house and dubstep
chart music, dance, rnb and pop



indie pop, alternative rock

rock, alternative rock, indie

The next part of my research was looking at promotion pictures of Two Door Cinema club and see what their general style is. Even though they would be considered to be an indie pop band, they seem to have a smarter more put together style than other bands such as The Maccabees. This is a quite different style but fans of Two Door Cinema Club know their style and they are very easy recognisable in the indie genre. I think that by doing something similar to this this would be good because then when it comes to doing the digipak, my band would also have a recognisable style. TDCC's styles is also much appreciate in magazines and they often described as well put together and fashionable. Obviously my 'band' isn't going to be famous but this is a good reputation to follow when thinking about styling my band.

I have noticed that within indie bands even though the main singer is generally the main focus, all of the band member dress pretty much the same. This may be because they prefer the focus to be on their music rather than on making a star persona for themselves which is a huge contrast to pop groups. After doing this reason I have chosen the following outfits to base my costumes around. All the images have come from high street brand such as Topman and River Island and appear to be very similar to other indie bands styles:

Band members and male characters:
To dress a male indie band I would deifintely choose these types of clothing. I found these on the topman website and the river island website which are both very popular high street fashion shops which have kept up to date with indie fashion as it has progressed over the years. I think that these clothes really represent what indie people dress like because they are quite individual in how they dress but they don't like to stand out as much as other (such as hipsters). These clothes are also quite smart aswell as generally appealing which is good because that is the type of style that Two Door Cinema Club have aswell as other indie bands such as Bombay Bicycle Club.

Female characters:
For any females in my music video I have stuck to the topshop website to choose what sort of clothing they would wear. This is because the majority of teengae girls shop at topshop or at shops similar to topshop and the always have the most up to date indie fashions. I chose the clothing to the left because I believe that they reflect the festival style which Two Door Cinema Club are often assosiated with and if the female characters in my video are dressed like this then it would fit well with the genre of the song I am doing. Also, because I don't want the main focus to be on any female characters I may have, by giving them quite simple outfits then they wont stand out too much but will also look good at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment